Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Lt. Dan Band and Robert Irvine

Yesterday was so much fun!! The Lt. Dan Band (started by actor Gary Sinise from Forest Gump and CSI: New York) came to Fort Sam Houston to put on a show for the military service members and their families. With them, Robert Irvine (from Restaurant: Impossible and Dinner: Impossible) BBQed lunch with the help of soldiers.

I had to go in with Rob at 5 am because my battery died in my car and I was committed to going to see the concert. After Rob's PT, him getting changed in the gym, and having breakfast at SAMC with one of our friends who is going through the same program as Rob, I was left alone to kill time before the festivities began. This pretty much meant that I sat in a waiting area at the hospital reading my book. Eventually, I got frustrated and bored sitting there so I decided to venture around the hospital for a better seat to see what was going on outside in the parking lot where they were preparing lunch.

I found a seat at the Grab 'n' Go where I had a perfect view of the cooking. And guess who I saw, mostly on the phone at first, but eventually doing some grilling? Robert Irvine. If you have ever seen any of the shows he's been on, it's hard to miss him. I spotted him in his tight t-shirt and his huge arms. Since lunch wasn't starting until 11:30 I didn't want to go outside too early. But, as 10:30 hit, I decided there was no harm in watching them set up and cook from the sidewalk. There I met some volunteers from the hospital who convinced me to go as the security guards if I could get a picture with Mr. Irvine. I was lead to where he was and waited while he had a conversation with some people who actually were important in planning the event. Eventually I got to get a picture with him and thanked him as a military family member and told him how much it means to all of us what he does for our loved ones. I began briefly telling him how my grandfather was in Vietnam, my father in Iraq, and now my husband is serving our country. A lady who pretty much didn't leave his side all day started crying as I talked to him. In turn, Mr. Irvine thanked me and said to get ready to have some fun. He was such a nice man and it made me like him even more.


Robert Irvine and me.
When I was done talking with Mr. Irvine and getting my picture, I retreated back to where I had been waiting. Not too long later, they began forming the line to eat. I was the 5th person in line!! The line grew and grew and I hoped Rob would get out for lunch before we started moving but he didn't. I got my food and went to find a good seat so we could see the stage. I held seats for Rob and the military family we hang out with and who was joining us for the festivities. Eventually, Rob came down but by then the line was super long so I gave him my lunch because I wasn't too hungry.

Our lunch made by Robert Irvine and other soldiers.
 
After our group got seated, a few people got up on stage to address the audience. One of the people was from the Gary Sinise Foundation who talked about all the good things the foundation is helping with. Another person who got up on stage and addressed us was an Iraq war veteran who was treated at SAMC. It was a great start to the event.
 


Check out the website to see how you can help.



 
 
While we were eating, I saw a line growing and quickly realized it was line to meet Gary Sinise who I am a huge fan of. We all decided we should go join the line, which meant we had to leave our food over at the table to hold our seats. After standing in line for a few minutes, Rob and our friend had to go back into work. We decided to stay in line since I wanted to get two DAV magazines signed by Mr. Sinise. We finally made it to the front of the line, got photos, and autographs from him. After us, he only met a few more people before he had to go on stage so boy were we lucky.
 
 
Gary Sinise and me.
 
We got back to our seats, finished eating, and the kids decided they wanted to go play. I held the seats and waited patiently for the show to begin. Soon Gary Sinise and Robert Irvine came on stage with a 2 Star General and were given hats, shirts, plaques, and coins to thank they for coming to SAMC.
 
 
The Lt. Dan Band started their show not too long after. Boy are they talented. They have a bunch of singers that really kept the concerts going. All of them were so very talented.
 
After the day was done, we heard that they had planned to feed 2,500 people but instead fed about 5,200 people. I was amazed they actually had enough food.
 
Thank you to Robert Irvine, Gary Sinise, and everyone involved for putting together a great day. 



Rob and I stopped at Subway on the way home because I was too tired to cook after being up since 4:15. I was excited for my sub and apples but when we got home, I found that my bag of apples were bad. They looked horrible and had begun to smell bad. I was very upset and sad.


I also found out when we got home that I got a crazy sun burn on my face and my right arm, that's right just my right arm not the left! And since I wore a baseball cap all day, my face is only burnt from my eye balls down. Yup, I look ridiculous and my face hurts! Not planning on leaving the house for a few days!

Well that was my day yesterday. I don't plan on doing anything today but some picking up of the apartment.

Hope you guys have a great day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment